The Hindu Editorial 18th Jan 2017
President Barrack Obama has finished his two terms as the president of USA. On 20th January Republican leader Donald Trump is going to take charge of office of president.
Obama has been well known for his contribution to bring peace, social harmony, reduction of tension and elimination of war which was resulted to win Nobel Prize for Peace.
Although he had been president for two terms but he hadn’t finished all during his tenure.
Mission which seems to remained unfinished for future as well:
- Reduction in Nuclear Weapon ( Global Zero) Obama tried to get closer to Russia in order to bring reduction of nuclear weapons for this purpose he tried to follow the ideology of START-2 Treaty with Russia. President Donald Trump has announced that the USA should enhance its nuclear capability which will go against the agenda set by Obama.
- Obama has set agenda to keep separate budget for peace keeping force in foreign countries under the rules of UNO, but Republican Leader Trump has shown in his campaign speeches that he is not interested anymore to carry this financial burden forward.
- Climate Change because of Global Warming is a main issue of concern for world leaders and Obama has Shown acute interest to meet such challenges, which can be clearly seen when Obama decided to sign Paris Agreement, but here also Trump has indicated not to follow this agreement of Paris.
- Obama has signed nuclear deal with Iran and he campaigned successfully to bring G-5 ( five nuclear power) + 1(Germany) and Iran to start joint comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) commonly known as Iran Nuclear Deal as an International agreement on nuclear propramme of Iran with G-5+1 and European Union. President Trump has also been indicated that he is going to scrap Iran – USA nuclear deal.
- Obama was seen as Great propounder to bring Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPPA) which is a regional free trade agreement. To make this operationalize 12 countries of trans-pacific region are negotiating but here also Trump is not showing any interest to be part TPPA.
Global Zero is an international non-partisan group of 300 world leaders dedicated to achieving the elimination of nuclear weapons. The initiative, launched in December 2008, promotes a phased withdrawal and verification for the destruction of all devices held by official and unofficial members of the nuclear club. The Global Zero campaign works toward building an international consensus and a sustained global movement of leaders and citizens for the elimination of nuclear weapons.
START II (Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty) was a bilateral treaty between the United States of America and Russia on the Reduction and Limitation of Strategic Offensive Arms. It was signed by United States President George H. W. Bush and Russian President Boris Yeltsin on 3 January 1993, banning the use of multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles (MIRVs) on intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs). Hence, it is often cited as the De-MIRV-ing Agreement.
The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) or Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPPA) is a trade agreement among twelve of the Pacific Rim countries—notably not including China. The finalized proposal was signed on 4 February 2016 in Auckland, New Zealand, concluding seven years of negotiations. It is currently awaiting ratification to enter into force. The 30 chapters of the agreement aim to “promote economic growth; support the creation and retention of jobs; enhance innovation, productivity and competitiveness; raise living standards; reduce poverty in the signatories’ countries; and promote transparency, good governance, and enhanced labor and environmental protections.” The TPP contains measures to lower both non-tariff and tariff barriers to trade, and establish an investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) mechanism.
So this article tries to find out some clues out of speeches made by Trump during his election campaign, which shows that in some areas Trump is not going to follow or carry forward his predecessor. It seems that he is going to revise USA policies in a realistic way with keeping in mind to enhance trade, nuclear capacity and reduce expenditure that use to made by USA to fight for the cause of world as a whole like Terrorism, Environmental problem and deploy peace keeping forces. Although it is not easy for Obama to operationalize agendas which he want to accomplish but he can work for these agendas even after completion of his tenure as a president, by playing an active role of opposition leader for this Jimmy Carter may be a role model for Mr. Obama.